Saturday, October 31, 2009

Deutsch Einstufungstest

[ German Placement Exam ]

As I mentioned from my first few days in the University I had to register for my German placement exam in order to be eligible for Deutsch als Fremdsprache classes. I thought that it was a little redundant since I had my certificate from the Carl Duisburg Center that clearly stated my level and proficiency in German that matched up with the course listings, but the offices still advised me to take the test, so I figured I had nothing to lose.

Divided into two sections, the tests were held on an early afternoon and I found the lecture hall for the test with dozens of other foreign students filing into rows. I was actually quite surprised how seriously the test was taken, since no students were admitted to sit next to each other, there were checks for pocket dictionaries in the rows, and on top of all of this, there were a LOT of students - many more foreign students learning German than I initially perceived at the University.


When the exams were passed out, I knew I was in for a challenge. It was very simple - 5 paragraphs in German, and many of the words only had the first letter and a bunch of blanks. Essentially you had to complete the paragraph by filling in the right words which proved your expanse of vocabulary and your understanding on when to use the right grammar [ essentially der/die/das in akusative, genative etc. for those who know some German]. These were my weak points by far... I sat, and laughed to myself, and really started just inventing German when I didn't know the answers. I was a goner, and figured I would be placed back in the newbie course.

I was very surprised how many students were taking the exam, and looking at everyones faces afterwards, I think everyone felt the same. We just needed to wait a few days and the postings in the language offices would tell us our placement.

No comments:

Post a Comment