Sunday, September 27, 2009

Kulturzentrum am Eurobahnhof

[ The cultural center at the Euro train station ]

This Thursday Angelika told me to be home and ready at 6:30 to go with them to " see the new art museum". That is really all I knew of what was going on, but as I was told with my invitation, I was ready at 6:30 and Stefan, Angelika and I all headed out for the evening. We drove to another part of Saarbrücken and it ended up being at the old Hauptbahnhof [ train station ] of the city, which has now been turned into a thriving cultural and art center. In fact, I learned that the facilities are used as studios for artists and their works and ideas for sculptures and architecture around the city can also be diplayed there.


I found the idea of utilizing the old building for art to be very cool and this past Thursday turned out to be an opening event to show some of the works to the public. Stefan and Angelika are without a doubt very integrated into their community here, and always seem to have special events to go to or people to meet. When we walked into the event, within minutes I was already shaking hands and doing a bit of small talking with various different people from Saarbrücken, many probably very important figures in the city, always being introduced with my now endearing title of " Das ist Chris, mein Amerikaner" - This is Chris, my American.


Small talking can be a little intimidating having to do it Auf Deutsch, and I really don't venture too much further in my short greetings other than that I am a student from the states, and perhaps how long I am studying in Saarbrücken, or how living here in German has been for me in the past two months. Even so, it is a bit of a wake up call to me that, whereas I am speaking German everyday, when you are meeting people for the first time that don't immediately know and speak to your level of German, you can truly be put to the test of chatting, and I know that I must really work hard if I want to be able to have a very socially integrated Praktikum later this year.


The exhibits had some very neat things being displayed, from some modern art, to beautiful photography of some landmarks of Saarbrücken, or mini models of bridges that are being proposed to be constructed over the Saar river. It was very cool to check everything out, have the feeling of being at an opening event in the city with many prominent people around, and also being able to meet many people as well and test a bit of my German knowledge so far.


After the museum, My host parents, my host aunt Gabbie who met us at the exhibits, and myself all went out for a very nice dinner in the city. Angelika had asked if I had ever tried frog legs before - nein, noch nicht. Well, guess what we were playing with hopping around on our table as our appetizer! And yes, the deep fried critters really do taste like chicken!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, in my previous comment I spelled your host's family name incorrectly....

    Kind of cool...when you first arrived you were whisked to a wedding and now when you are leaving you are whisked to an Art show :) btw...crocidile also tastes like chicken...it has something to do with the muscular structure and the enzymes that are produced that makes it all taste like chicken.

    Maria K.

    ReplyDelete