Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Grill im Garten

[ Bbq in the Garden ]

Yesterday we had a bbq at the house, and I was actually unaware of it until coming home to help set up after school. Then again, maybe it wasn't planned - it could have been just as spontan as Angelika's personality.

First we went shopping together and got together meats and vegetables, as well as some charcoal. Once we were home I was deemed the grill master and had to light the grill up [which thankfully turned out fine. I missed the luxury of our "huge American grills" with propane tanks ]. We made many different kinds of salads, and prepped the meats including lamb, pork, spare ribs, and chicken [ which I should note that chicken is not as common here as it is in the states. In fact, it is rather expensive at the stores. Pork definitely takes the place of that kitchen staple here ]. I think it is funny that all meats packaged for grilling here [ and the same was in Finland as well ] generally have an American flag on them, as if they are celebrating the all American tradition of the summer bbq. Angelika asked me if I knew Farmer John... no, sorry.


The guests of the Bbq consisted of the families of both Lutz and Olli. Olli's mom is actually Polish, so I was able to chat a bit with her after her VERY excited Dziendobry's and Czescz. The funny thing is, that no matter how hard I tried, I just could NOT get out a complete sentence in Polish. I know those vocab words are stuck somewhere in my brain, but my sentences just blurred into a mix of Polish-German, and German vocabulary would just come out without thinking about it. Talk about making my brain spin though, Polish and German speaking at the same time. It just takes a lot of patience!




The bbq was pretty diverse in terms of languages, since Olli's mother's boyfriend is Italian and he has a very think accent with his German. Actually when he was talking to me in German, I probably stared back with my mouth open, since I didn't understand a single word. To me it sounded as if it could have been Italian with the inflected vowels and trilled r's. Later he actually did speak to me in actual Italian, because with my name being Crachiola, he just assumed that I at least new some Italian. Maybe some day... lets get the German down, and then Polish on the checklist!

Just on thought though, I think hearing all the accents in Germany is very cool, and it reflects just how diverse the country is. Having heard German with Chinese, Slavic, African, French and other accents, I have definitely heard it spoken in different ways, and that is without noting just the regional dialects in Germany itself!


Even with accents, there is still a language barrier at times too. When some meat was put on my plate, I figured it was chicken, but I asked what it was. Angelika said it was not chicken - but it clearly seemed like it to me since it was white meat. To this, Barbara, Olli's mom, hesitated, searching for the word, then mimed to her bust and rhymed, matter-of-factly, chicken titten ...

XD , hahhaha. The adults were already sociable from a bit of wine paired with their meals, but that was pretty darn funny. When it comes to translating, sometimes you have to do what you have to do. And it still defies me how they said it wasn't chicken, but it was chicken breast... it is all still chicken to me...


The bbq was delicious, and very nice since we set up everything in the Garden out back. For my host sisters, their friends and I, we all had fun as well, since after dinner, later in the night, we all went out for a late night of clubbing down town for some tanzen at club Blau.

3 comments:

  1. You should have told your host Mother that you know Farmer John's brother...Farmer Jack who was bought-out by Mr. Kroger ;) So ditten is German for boobies? Good to know :) I have say the picture of the melons with what looked like salsa scares me...of course I don't like melon...ttyl
    Maria K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love reading your blog! I hope you keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. skype soon?! what time is best for you? (and in what time zone...)

    ReplyDelete